November Athlete of the Month
Check this awesome Q & A with our November Athlete of the Month Michael Walden!
1. When did you start CrossFit and why?
I started in 2010 when CFW was a single room at maxed out at 5 or 6 people. I had just completed an Ironman and was in a fitness depression after two years of training. I was having trouble getting motivated by the same workouts. Someone introduced me to Crossfit (Fight Club as we called it back then) and something just clicked for me. The workouts were varied enough that it was a challenge while everything was timed and measured so the competitive nature of it worked for me.
2. What time of day you come in?
7am – the heart of CFW.
3. What is one movement you hate and one you love?
I really dislike deadlifts. I love any workout with a run.
4. Any big goal(s) set for the next year?
I plan to run the Grand Traverse (40 mile) in CO next summer.
5. Tell us one fun fact about you.
I am a diehard/angry Philadelphia sports fan.
6. You were left on a deserted island. What one food and thing (i.e. book, music player, etc…) would you want to be left with?
Pizza, Eagles jersey and copy of Jimi Hendrix “Are you Experienced”.
7. How has CrossFit helped you in sports? Life?
Crossfit has provided a great fitness base that has allowed me push myself into other sports/fitness challenges throughout the years. I recently completed at 55k race Iceland that would not have been possible without Crossfit. In my life it is all about the community that CFW has created and the friendships that I have gained. No matter what is going on in my life I can always count on the 7am group to be there.
8. How have workouts changed for you over the years?
I think I have just gotten smarter about my workouts over the years. I have learned to scale at the appropriate times and focus more on getting movements right rather than just the speed at which I complete them.
Rate your skills: 1-10– 10 being your best.
Endurance – 8
Stamina – 9
Strength – 4
Flexibility – 1
Speed – 10
Agility – 3
Balance – 6
Accuracy – 5
Power – 2
Coordination – 7
2016 11 08