Check this awesome Q & A with our June Athlete of the Month Amy McCandless!
1. When did you start CrossFit and why?
Spring of 2012. I was totally bored with the “conventional” gym and was not seeing results. Chrissy and I had heard about this thing called “Crossfit” and explored the local boxes at the time. Crossfit Westchester was the one!
2. What time of day you come in?
3. What is one movement you hate and one you love?
I love back squats and really do not like snatches (which are also my worst movement) But then again there is that assault bike…
4. Any big goal(s) set for the next year?
I would really like to be able to do unassisted pull-ups and toes to bar.
5. Tell us one fun fact about you.
I was sitting by the stage during a Grateful Dead concert and Jerry Garcia stopped playing and handed me his guitar pick. (I still have it)
6. You were left on a deserted island. What one food and thing (i.e. book, music player, etc…) would you want to be left with?
A saute pan and my guitar.
7. How has CrossFit helped you in sports? Life?
CrossFit has helped me with perseverance and drive both professionally and personally. I remember after one of my first classes, feeling totally like a fish out of water, but completing the WOD, Chris’s comment was I was a warrior. The positive energy and camaraderie remain with me after class. I have more energy than some of my 5 year old students! The friendships I have established with my “masters” group is quite special as well. (I still can’t believe i lie on a sweaty floor!)
8. How have workouts changed for you over the years?
I have become more confident in my ability to perform the movements with correct form. I learned how to listen to my body and scale back when necessary.
Rate your skills: 1-10– 10 being your best.
Endurance – 6
Stamina – 5
Strength – 6
Flexibility – 8
Speed – 5
Agility – 8
Balance – 7
Accuracy – 7
Power – 3
Coordination – 7