January 2017 Athlete of the Month
Check this awesome Q & A with our January Athlete of the Month Darrin De Lucia!
1. When did you start CrossFit and why?
January 2011. I needed to do something more challenging to get in better shape.
2. What time of day you come in?
3. What is one movement you hate and one you love?
I dislike overhead squats and enjoy power cleans.
4. Any big goal(s) set for the next year?
I would love to be able to do muscle ups in about 6-8 months. I’m hoping to lose about 20 lbs in order to have better success at it.
5. Tell us one fun fact about you.
I’m an American Italian boy who is fluent in Spanish ironically due to the great opportunity I had studying and living in Spain back in my early twenties.
6. You were left on a deserted island. What one food and thing (i.e. book, music player, etc…) would you want to be left with?
Peanut butter and foam roller!
7. How has CrossFit helped you in sports? Life?
It certainly helped me run a 3:26 in my first NYC marathon back 2011. It sounds cliche, however, Crossfit continues to teach me not to give up, to stay the course in order for me to achieve my goals.
8. How have workouts changed for you over the years?
When I started back in 2011 I couldn’t do a single pull up nor sit in a squat for more than two seconds without falling over. I’ve come a long way since then! I have only the great coaches at CrossFit Westchester to thank as well as the other athletes to push me along in many of the WOD’s.
Rate your skills: 1-10– 10 being your best.
Endurance – 7
Stamina – 7
Strength – 6
Flexibility – 4
Speed – 7
Agility – 7
Balance – 6
Accuracy – 7
Power – 7
Coordination – 7
2017 01 09